We Are Being Called Together:
An invitation to Women for a Vision Council with Deena Metzger
April 21-23, Canton, Connecticut
This is an invitation to the fourth annual Called Together Councils that take place in March in Topanga, California and April in Canton, Connecticut. For Topanga dates, see www.deenametzger.net
The wording for the invitation is the same as it was last year and the goals are similar. We are seeking to create earth and spiritually based dynamic and mutually supportive communities even though we do not live together. Such communities of developed and devoted individuals can work during the year to support each other’s visions and endeavors. Ultimately, we hope that there will be a critical mass of people who by the way they interact and live their lives will step forward to re-establish vital cultural forms that undermine, by their nature, the violent and materialistic global culture that is acting against all life. We recognize that the times demand that we each profoundly shift our thinking and ways. To live according to one’s deepest values, to live on the edges, to respond from the heart and on behalf of all beings, requires courage and tenacity. Such gatherings make this possible.
There was a powerful vision about the essential nature of listening to and following one’s dreams at the Connecticut gathering three years ago. Lise Weil acted on that vision and the first issue of the new online journal, Dark Matter—Women Witnessing was published in November 2014. The writing of many of the participants of Called Together in Topanga and Connecticut is featured in the journal. Other deep connections and heartfelt support of each other’s internal transformation and work in the world resulted from the two meetings. We hope for the same to occur this year and the years to follow. Please join us.
The following are the words that inspired the last gatherings:
- We need to be together. We need to speak in sentences that do not hide the old knowing and are not prohibited.
- We need to call each other out of distraction with the words that our ancestors and our descendants depend upon for survival. We need to create a vital language out of memory and vision.
- We are called to share the stories we carry so that we can live within them. We need to speak the stories that shape us as a people and teach us how to live with the earth and each other.
- We are called to story, to language and to enact the new, true, ancient, desperate beauty ways that we are called to live.
- We need to be with each other in the story and language that describes and so creates the world for which we are longing. To live as outlaws outside of the conventions which confine and manipulate us, to find the words and wisdom from which we are separated, as were African slaves and Native Americans, in order to break our minds.
- Without a common language, without shared stories, without deep vision of the real nature of the world, there is no culture and so no community and so no power or possibility. Therefore, we are called to restore and piece together the broken, burned shards of once vital histories, to dare to know what we know, to see and understand with our hands and feet what is irrefutable, to listen to the ancestors and the future, to the dreams and the signs, old syllables and unborn orations, birdsong, whale song and howl, the glorious and tormented recitations of wind, water, light and earth, to bring together a luminous grammar of connection so that through such shared conversations and our own emergent literature and culture, we make ourselves places to live that can survive these times.
Called Together will use Dream Telling, Visioning, Solitude, Council. Story and Writing on behalf of a culture for the future.
Friday, April 21, Friday night Rattle Circle at Earthspirit Council House, 7-10pm
Saturday, April 22, 9:00am to 9:30pm; Sunday, April 3, 9:00-5:00pm.
Location: Earthspirit Council House and home of Nora Jamieson, Canton CT www.norajamieson.com
The number of participants is limited. Cost: $325 – 425, sliding scale.
To register or for further information, contact Nora Jamieson via email using the contact button in the menu bar above, or call her at (860) 693-9540. We are asking that you send a $100 deposit by February 28, made out to Nora Jamieson. Email her for the address. If you need to cancel, your deposit will be refunded if we are able to get someone to take your place.
These two weekends, one on the East Coast and one in Topanga, with (mostly) old friends but also new friends, students, mentees, colleagues, spiritual and creative companions, allow you to chose a time and place to attend that will be most accommodating to your location and schedule. These are being offered in addition to the annual Healing and Writing Intensives, which, Deena hopes, many of you will continue to attend so that the work we began can continue to open, deepen and expand as it has over the years. This work is based, in addition to whatever Spirit presents, upon the 19 Ways, the Literature of Restoration, and the Training Programs for the 5th World. The goal is to be active and conscious participants in creating a vital future for all beings.